Friday, September 20, 2013

Day 0 - Farewell, Friends.


And so it begins. My journey of 3 and a half years begins with this journal entry. I sit now in my business class seat penning down what the past few days have been like for me. Beginning at the airport, we arrived and had dinner at the airport with See Leng's family. We ate at Crystal Jade, which was not fantastic and hardly memorable. A good number of people had come to see Linus and See Leng (and I assume, unabashedly, me) off. Ma Ma was there as well, with Aunty Janice and Aunty Siew Hoon. She gave me an Angbao with well wishes for my studies abroad. Aunty Dora gave me an angbao as well (which I, as of now, have not opened). After Linus left, the bulk of the crowd had left after also wishing me well.
The bandies came a little later and waited for me to get my check-in done. They later passed me the card they wrote for me. One of the quotes written on it was this, “My best times have gone, from laughter to memories; My best friends have gone, from friends to family.” -Unknown. The past 2 years have really brought the bandies together as we made time for each other. I read in an article online (I didn't love my wife when I married her) that love was nurtured in its willingness to give, and this was the kind of love we shared. Surprisingly, the note that left the deepest impression was from Sam. I quote, “People say that those closest to you are the hardest to say goodbye to. Perhaps that's why I'm not saying anything.” Well, the bandies left shortly after in their pursuit of McDonald's while the family and church friends went to Ya Kun. Naturally, I had eggs and toast with a cup of iced Milo. We all finally met at the departure gate where Izumi arrived panting. He had rushed from his place in Jurong to the airport. When I commented that it was way too far for him to see me off, his reply really touched me, “It's ok, you're worth it.” I then said my goodbyes and took some pictures with the churchies and proceeded to hug the bandies and say goodbye as well. I took my leave (bumping into some acquaintances from school who were seeing Kieran Ong off) and went past customs. Waving goodbye repeatedly, I finally strode off in my pursuit of the unknown.
The first thing that hit me was how I walked alone – without friends, without family, without company. There was some comfort in the observation that many around me were walking alone as well. I used to think that travel was not much of a solo affair but maybe I was wrong.
I guess I'm finally “past the point of no return.” No backward glances (had to quote PotO). From here on, I have to make good what I told everyone before. “Cannot also must can.” For the moment, that shall be my motto to get me through the first semester. A life away from Singapore and more importantly English is not going to be easy for me. Phil 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” The past study on James has taught me a lot and it tells me about God's will. Today's preparation told me that God's will is always perfect. I cannot predict what life will be like for me in 1 month, what more a year. God alone knows what will happen and I can only trust His hand to guide me.

Maybe this is a time of spiritual rejuvenation for me. God will guide me through as an alien in a foreign land. 

No comments: