Wednesday, November 27, 2013

day 67 - it's magical!

day 67 – 261113
At the train station after training

pretty sparkles * 
Day 67. It's been 40 days since the last entry, and I keep hearing Eric saying, "I regret not having had a journal when I first came." I would understand how it kinda loses its novelty if I were in my 5th Semester. 

Time really passes quickly when you're having fun you've fallen into a routine that more or less runs itself. It's hard to imagine how it's already been 40 days since the last post. And since then I'm still having firsts over the course of the past few weeks. Things here have been getting hectic but I truly am thankful for the few friends I found (with whom I attend every lecture/tutorial/workshop). With respects to schoolwork, the past few weeks were relatively manageable due to the nature of the coursework - which was primarily the building blocks of Engineering in general. Thankfully, some of it was covered in school and it was more of an additional layer on top of what I already knew. For math I always feel like I'm on the edge of understanding but never reach it. Sequences and convergence still irks me as I don't completely understand what I'm supposed to do. This week functions started (which I thought I had enough fundamental knowledge to build upon) and it's hard to manage.

What inspired/motivated this post, however, was the weather. Sounds pretty mundane, but this is my first full/long/genuine winter I'm experiencing and it's nice to see the whole process. When I arrived in September some of the trees were showing hints of orange. As time passed, they turned orange/red/gold and eventually some of the trees simply turned bare. It was yesterday that it started snowing and I ran out of the house, spread my arms and simply took it in. It was beautiful. Today, during training (I joined Lacrosse, a "CCA" in my university cause I needed some outlet for exercise) I noticed how everything on the field was sparkling (ew twilight) shimmering. The floodlights which shone upon the field lit up the tiny crystals forming on the grass and the flora around the area. When picking up the balls along the edges of the field I also noticed how the plants and their leaves glittering like jewellery. 

I'm really excited that winter is soon upon us. At the same time though, I feel a bit worried about how cold it could get and how much it'd affect daily life. Travelling to school would be probably a pain. Which is why I am considering moving now. Travelling 40mins to school in the winter chill would not be a fantastic idea. Anyhow it's probably too late to move. Moving during winter would also be crazy. 

No comments: